Microsoft has unveiled its latest version of Copilot, designed to be an everyday AI companion across services. Called Microsoft Copilot development signifies a shift in how users interact with technology, emphasizing natural language processing and seamless integration. Copilot is set to merge the capabilities of various Microsoft products, offering a unified experience that incorporates the intelligence of the web, user data, and real-time PC activity. Prioritizing user privacy and security, this feature will be accessible through Windows 11, Microsoft 365, Edge and Bing.
Features and Rollout
Microsoft Copilot is a unified AI that combines Windows Copilot, Microsoft 365 Copilot, and Bing Chat. Starting September 26, Microsoft will begin the rollout of Copilot as part of a free update to Windows 11.
This update, touted as one of the company's most ambitious, will introduce over 150 new features, integrating AI-powered experiences into apps like Paint, Photos, and Clipchamp. Bing will also see enhancements, including support for OpenAI's DALL.E 3 model and a revamped AI-powered shopping experience. Enterprise customers can anticipate the general availability of Microsoft 365 Copilot on November 1, 2023, which promises to revolutionize workplace productivity.
Today, we are announcing Copilot, our vision for an everyday AI companion for you. https://t.co/FzfDGTr7PY
— Satya Nadella (@satyanadella) September 21, 2023
Reactions and Announcements
Satya Nadella, Microsoft's CEO, took to Twitter to share the news, stating, “Today, we are announcing Copilot, our vision for an everyday AI companion for you.” This announcement was part of a broader reveal that included the introduction of new Surface devices optimized for these AI experiences. The Surface Laptop Studio 2, described as the most powerful Surface device yet, and the Surface Laptop Go 3, a balance of style and performance, were among the highlights.
Microsoft Copilot brings AI enhancements to the following core Microsoft services:
- With AI enhancements, Paint becomes a powerful tool for drawing and digital creation. You can now remove backgrounds and use layers in your artworks, as well as try out Cocreator, a new feature that uses generative AI to help you create amazing images.
- Photos also gets smarter with AI, making it easier to edit your photos. You can use Background Blur to quickly highlight your subject and blur out the background with one click. The Photos app automatically detects the background in your photo. You can also search for photos based on their content or location, if they are stored in OneDrive (home or personal) accounts.
- Snipping Tool now has more options to capture content on your screen. You can now extract text from an image and paste it in another app, or you can redact sensitive information with text actions on the post capture screen. You can also capture sound using audio and mic support, making it easier to create videos and content from your screen.
- Clipchamp, now with auto compose, helps you create and edit videos like a pro. It automatically suggests scenes, edits and narratives based on your images and footage, so you can share your videos with family, friends and social media.
- Notepad now saves your session state automatically, so you can close Notepad without any interruptions and resume where you left off when you return. Notepad will automatically restore your open tabs, unsaved content and edits.
- With the new Outlook for Windows, you can manage all your accounts (including Gmail, Yahoo, iCloud and more) in one app. You can write clear and concise emails with intelligent tools and easily attach important documents and photos from OneDrive. To learn more, visit [this link].
- File Explorer has a new look, with a modernized home, address bar and search box that help you access important and relevant content easily. You can also see file activity and collaborate without opening a file. File Explorer also has a new Gallery feature that makes it easy to access your photo collection.
- Windows 11 has new text authoring experiences to voice access and new natural voices in Narrator, making it the most accessible version of Windows yet.
- Windows Backup makes it easy to move to a new Windows 11 PC. With Windows Backup, you can transfer most files, apps and settings from one PC to another seamlessly, so everything is just how you like it.