The ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak has left numerous uncertainties around global health, travel, and economy. However, somethings are clear, such as the immediate impact the virus is having. We have already seen it claim MWC 2020 and now Microsoft has announced its Microsoft Ignite The Tour won't come to Hong Kong as scheduled.
In a tweet on the Microsoft Ignite Twitter page, the company cancelled the upcoming event. In the statement, Microsoft says “The health and safety of our employees, customers, partners, and suppliers are a top priority.”
While Ignite The Tour won't be stopping off in Hong Kong, Microsoft says partners can access on-demand resources and view recent sessions on the official Ignite website.
As we continue to monitor the evaluation of risk communicated by global health authorities, the Microsoft Ignite The Tour Hong Kong conference has been cancelled. The health and safety of our employees, customers, partners, and suppliers are a top priority.
— Microsoft Ignite (@MS_Ignite) February 26, 2020
As mentioned, Mobile World Congress 2020 was also cancelled due to health concerns surrounding coronavirus. That cancellation also impacted Microsoft has the company had planned mixed reality sessions at the conference.
Last week, Microsoft announced a Mixed Reality Dev Days to replace MWC. The event will be held before Build 2020 in May.
Ignite 2020 Conference
So far, it is too early to say if the outbreak will have an impact on the full Microsoft Ignite conference, which will be held this fall. Last month, Microsoft confirmed the event is moving back to September and will be hosted in a new city.
Last year the event was moved to November. New Orleans has been named as the new host city. The switch to a new location is the fourth times Ignite has changed host venues, folowing Chicago, Orlando, and Atlanta. Let's hope the event will go ahead as planned.