In May, Microsoft introduced mobile integration for SharePoint. It was a big step, but came with a caveat; the roll out would take some time. Unfortunately, as is often the case these days, the company focused on landing SharePoint on iOS first in June, and Android earlier this month. At the time, Microsoft said integration for Windows 10 Mobile would come later in the year.
Finally, better late than never, Microsoft released the full SharePoint app on the Windows Store. As a note, this app has actually been available in preview form for a couple of months. This is Microsoft removing the preview tag and rolling out all features.
SharePoint has been a market-leading platform for enterprise users for over a decade. With over 190 million users, it is the go-to service for organizing documents, managing systems, and building intranet sites. However, in the mobile era it has been challenged by competitors. This year, Microsoft has worked hard to bring the service up to speed in a cloud/mobile world.
As such, SharePoint on Windows 10 Mobile will tap directly into Office 365. It is available for Enterprise, Education, Government, and DvNext users of Microsoft's cloud productivity suite.
Users can access popular and recent files, arrange and edit lists on team sites, and manage their own site activity.
Tapping a site will grant instant access, where it can be shared. The application makes access to team sites easy on a mobile device, with intranet search included in the app. SharePoint uses Microsoft Graph and Office Graph to allow users to see other users' workflows and organize their team site portals. Below is the full list of features for Windows 10 Mobile:
- Sign in to your SharePoint Online sites. You can add multiple accounts, and easily switch between them.
- Quickly find your sites. Check out the Sites tab, to see the sites you frequently visit and the sites you follow. Tap on a team site to dive into it. See site activity, navigate using the familiar quick launch navigation, easily follow or share the site, and work with your lists.
- Check out recent and popular files. In a team site, get to your recent or popular files quickly to view or share them, and have full access to your document libraries using the new integration with the OneDrive app. Edit your files easily using Office Mobile apps like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
- Use the Links tab to find promoted links for your organization. Curated by your SharePoint admin for all employees, these links get you to the organizational resources and sites that you care about.
- Enterprise Search is available throughout the app and results are organized into sites, files and people.
- Find and browse for people you work with. Tap on a user to get to their contact card and to see who they work with and what they are working on.