Instagram has launched Broadcast Channels, a public, one-to-many messaging tool for creators to engage with their followers. The announcement was made by Mark Zuckerberg, who also launched his own “Meta Channel” on Instagram.
The tool allows creators to use text, photo, video, and voice notes to share their latest updates, behind-the-scenes moments, and even create polls to crowdsource fan feedback. The followers can react to the content and vote in polls, but only creators can send messages.
How Instagram Broadcast Channels work
Once a creator gets access, they can start a broadcast channel from their Instagram inbox. Upon sending their first broadcast channel message, their followers will receive a one-time notification to join the channel. As soon as the broadcast channel is live, creators can also encourage followers to join by using the “join channel” sticker in Stories or by pinning the channel link to their profile.
Instagram plans to add more features, such as the ability to bring another creator into the channel to discuss upcoming collaborations, collect questions for an AMA via question prompts, and more.
Instagram Channels will be public, discoverable chat experiences, and are subject to Instagram’s Community Guidelines. The broadcast channels will be tested with a handful of US creators, and interested creators can sign up to be considered for early access. The channels will also be tested on Messenger and Facebook in the coming months.
In the announcement, Instagram shared the following list of selected creators who are starting their Instagram broadcast channels today. You can head to their profiles and tap the channel link in bio (accessible via mobile only) to see how the new feature works:
- Austin Sprinz, Content Creator: Follow @austin_sprinz
- Chloe Kim, Two-time Olympic gold medalist snowboarder: Follow @chloekim
- David Allen, Content Creator: Follow @ToTouchanEmu
- FaZe Rug, Gamer: Follow @fazerug
- Flau’jae, Basketball and rap star: Follow @flaujae
- Gilbert Burns, Mixed Martial Artist: Follow @gilbert_burns
- Josh Richards, Media Personality and Entrepreneur: Follow @joshrichards
- Karen Cheng, Creative Director: Follow @karenxcheng
- Katie Feeney, Content Creator: Follow @katiefeeneyy
- Lonnie IIV, Digital Creator: Follow @LonnieIIV
- Mackenzie Dern, Jiu-Jitsu black belt UFC fighter: Follow @mackenziedern
- Mikaela Shiffrin, Winningest Woman Alpine Skier of All Time: Follow @mikaelashiffrin
- Tank Sinatra, Meme Sensation: Follow @tank.sinatra
- Valkyrae, Creator & Streamer: Follow @valkyrae
Tip of the day: The Windows Sandbox gives Windows 10/11 Pro and Enterprise users a safe space to run suspicious apps without risk. In our tutorial we show you how to enable the Windows Sandbox feature.