Microsoft has rolled out a new Office Insider Program build on Google’s Android platform. The new Office Preview Build 16.0.12730.20052 focuses on adding one new feature to Microsoft’s Outlook email client.
Interestingly, this new Office Insider Program release features no bug fixes or performance improvements.
Either way, the important new feature is the ability to see upcoming calendar meetings at the top of the Outlook inbox. Microsoft says meetings will be pinned 30 minutes before the start of an event. #
Here’s how the company explains the tool in its official changelog:
“Outlook now shows you what meeting in your calendar is coming up. You’ll see it at the top of your inbox 30 minutes before the event starts.”
As this is an Office Preview build, the feature is currently limited to Office Insider Program members. If you’re interested in being a preview tester, you can sign up for the program by following the steps at Microsoft’s official link here.
It seems Microsoft is continuing development if its Office ecosystem despite the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Last month, the company said it would have to reduce the capabilities of some Office 365 services to cope with the strain caused by the outbreak. Millions of people are working from home, putting an unusual burden on many services.
Outlook was not affected by this cut back. Instead, Microsoft is either reducing or limiting access across OneNote, SharePoint, and Stream:
- OneNote in Teams will be read-only for commercial tenants, excluding EDU. Users can go to OneNote for the web for editing.
- Download size and sync frequency of file attachments has been changed.
- You can find details on these and other OneNote related updates as http://aka.ms/notesupdates.
- We are rescheduling specific backend operations to regional evening and weekend business hours. Impacted capabilities include migration, DLP and delays in file management after uploading a new file, video or image.
- Reduced video resolution for playback videos.
- People timeline has been disabled for newly uploaded videos. Pre-existing videos will not be impacted.
Meeting recording video resolution adjusted to 720p