Bitcoin Miner, a free application for Windows 10 users has faced a tricky few weeks. Developer GroupFabric has been squashing bugs and making general improvements. However, the company has also made a big decision to reflect recent changes made in the Microsoft Store.
Back in October, Microsoft changed rules in its Store. Essentially, a new rule within the Store prevents any app from using a user’s computer for mining. Bitcoin Miner responded to essentially become a cloud mining app. In other words, it used cloud resources instead of user’s computers.
However, GroupFabric now says the environment on the Microsoft Store is not profitable. Because of this, the developer has decided to remove Bitcoin Miner from the Microsoft Store. This latest decision comes after Microsoft decided to end its Ad Monetization platform.
“Microsoft is shutting down their ad network, so yields will start to decrease as ad revenue is used to support the cloud miners. Some users will be unable to mine as Microsoft reduces ad service to their region,” an official statement from the dev reads.
“We are working on a new Bitcoin Miner that doesn’t require the Microsoft Store and will be available on this website in the near future. We appreciate your patience as our company works through these unexpected developments.”
GroupFabric had previously promised an Xbox version of its app but it now seems as thought that won’t happen.
As the developer points out, it will continue to make Bitcoin Miner available on Windows through its own website.
Below are recent updates that have come to the app:
Bitcoin Miner 1.62.0
- Fixed a crash introduced in 1.59.
- Fixed several Ads not Visible bugs.
- Remove broken mute button; mute can still be done using the system volume mute.
Bitcoin Miner 1.59.0
- Replaced on-device mining with remote miner management due to Microsoft Store policy changes.
Bitcoin Miner 1.58.0
- Fix several edgehtml.dll and ad related crashes, reduce code footprint.
Bitcoin Miner 1.53.0
- Fix connection issues with the default mining pool.
- Fix potential UI update issue when mining is stopped.