Microsoft has rolled out a new update for Microsoft Word for Office Insider Program members. The release brings Word up to version 1802 (Build 9020.2003) and is available on the Fast Ring branch. With this update, users are getting a new feature called Editor Overview Pane and plenty of fixes.
If you are unfamiliar with Microsoft update numbers, version 1802 basically means the release for February (02), 2018. As this is an Office Insider Program release, you will need to be on the testing branch to get it. That, in turn, means you need to be an Office 365 subscriber.
The Editor Overview Pane seems to be a powerful new tool for Microsoft Word. It presents users with a selection of elements that need can be changed within a document. The recommendations include enhancements, corrections, and more control over what you edit.
Microsoft describes the feature in full in the changelog:
- Showing a categorized Overview of writing enhancement opportunities:
- Corrections are issues you’re strongly advised to fix.
- Refinements give optional advice on stylistic or situational matters.
- Countersand Checkmarks track progress & celebrate achievement.
- Drawing attention to elements of Good Writing:
- Gives writers a dashboard for self-assessment.
- Gives teachers a scorecard to drive learning goal conversations.
- Presents the breadth and depth of checks in a manageable way.
- Making it easy to fix just those categories that matter to your writing goals:
- Scrub the whole document linearly– or a Category at a time.
- Fix in a recommended sequence: Spelling > Grammar > Refinements.
- Spend time on Categories you want to focus
Microsoft Word Update
This update also comes with the common fixes and improvements, although Microsoft has not said what they are.
As for the Editor Overview Pane, Microsoft says it will be gradually rolled out to Insiders. That means you may not see it right away. Once you get the update, you can see the pane by clicking the “Check Document” in the Review tab of the Ribbon.