Microsoft has rolled out a new update for the preview Office applications on iOS. The company has sent out a new release to the Office Insider Program. This build introduces a couple of important new features, Digital inking capabilities and faster scrolling.
As usual, you will need to be a member of the Insider Program to get this update. It will roll out to the full Office apps eventually, but not just yet. These new additions are specifically for Apple’s iPhone and iPad devices compatible with the latest builds of Office. This release brings Office on iOS up to version 2.7.
Digital ink is an important new addition to the productivity suite. Users can now use a digital input device to sketch directly in Office apps, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
With faster scrolling, moving through extensive spreadsheets is easier on touch devices. As you would expect, this feature is limited to Excel.
Microsoft has issued the following changelog:
Digital Ink: With the addition of a digital pencil to pens and effects that are already available, you can sketch out your ideas to make them come to life and rediscover the simple pleasure of creating content with a pen.
Faster Scrolling: Move quickly through long spreadsheets on your touch device using the new scroll handles.
Mac Office Update
Last week, Microsoft rolled out a new update for Office on Apple Mac. The release focused on improving the Outlook email app. Microsoft integrated Outlook with OneNote on Apple’s platform, although this is limited to Office 365 subscribers.
Here are some other changes made with that Mac update:
- Text size in mail body in Reading Pane no longer appears smaller or larger after launching Outlook
- When an Online Meeting is created for an event, “Join by Phone” links now include access codes, so they no longer have to be manually entered when joining by phone
- Week numbers displayed in calendar grid month view and mini-calendar in sidebar now match, even when “First day of week” preference in Outlook > Calendar doesn’t match “First day of week” preference in System Preferences > Language & Region
- In Out of Office (Auto-reply Settings), VoiceOver focus no longer enters reply settings for an account when “Send automatic replies for account…” isn’t checked
- When creating or viewing an event, opening Room Finder in Scheduling assistant no longer switches the view back to Appointment (event header and body)
- Groups now displays between Sent and Trash folders in Mail sidebar (Office 365 accounts with Groups)