It’s been a few months now since the Surface Studio’s release, and things have been going pretty well so far. Despite this, Microsoft has taken the opportunity to improve things further via a firmware update.
Some improvements come from new Nvidia graphics drivers, which reduces wake-up times and improves game compatibility. These changes are enhanced by updates to the Surface firmware, which also increases speech recognition accuracy.
Surface Studio Changelog
The update brings some other minor changes, too. Various Intel drivers have been updated, improving reliability. Here’s the full list of changes:
- “NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M & 965M: 18.104.22.16820 reduces time to wake from sleep and improves compatibility with the latest games.
- Surface UEFI: 117.1394.768.0 improves time to wake up from sleep and speech recognition accuracy.
- Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) OED: 22.214.171.1248 improves reliability of Skype call audio and notification alerts.
- Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology (Intel(R) SST) Audio Controller: 126.96.36.1998 improves reliability of Skype call audio and notification alerts.
- Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) l219-LM: 188.8.131.52 improves Ethernet connection stability.”
Though the improvements are small, it’s good to see Microsoft fine-tuning its device. These changes should make the system as a whole feel a little snappier and stable.
Surface Pro 4 Changelog
The Surface Pro 4’s changes are in a similar vein. There’s nothing major, but keyboard stability, battery life, and storage performance are all better. Microsoft has also left a few hints in there, referencing “support for an upcoming product release.”
Finally, an update to the Intel Precise Touch Device means touch is now disabled when the cover is closed. Full changelog below:
- “Surface Pro 4 Firmware Update: 2.0.302.0 improves keyboard stability.
- Intel Precise Touch Device: 184.108.40.206 disables touch when cover is closed.
- Surface Integration Service Device: 220.127.116.11 improves battery life during sleep.
- Surface Integration: 18.104.22.168 improves battery life during sleep.
- Surface Toshiba Storage Firmware Update driver: 1.1.617.0 improves storage performance.
- Surface Embedded Controller Firmware: 103.1414.256.0 adds support for an upcoming product release.
- Surface System Aggregator: 103.1413.258.0 adds support for an upcoming product release.
- Surface UEFI: 106.1414.768.0 improves system stability.”