Microsoft has already rolled out Cortana for the Xbox One in the US and UK. Now the company has made the assistant available on the console in the other EU5 nations. Cortana lands on the Xbox One Preview program in France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.
Along with the release of the voice command assistant, Microsoft has added game trials and system updates.
The latest Xbox One Preview update for the four European nations bring the platform to build rs1_xbox_rel_1608.160824-1140. Microsoft details how to get the update and the full changelog:
HOW TO GET IT
- If your console is in Instant-On mode, it will download and install the update and reboot to standby.
- NOTE: Once the update is available, you can manually begin the update by launching the Guide and navigating to All Settings > System > Console info & updates.
- If your console hasn’t downloaded and installed the update by 1:00 AM PDT 8/27/2016, you will be prompted to do so at that time.
Cortana: now available in France, Italy, Germany, and Spain.
If you live in these regions and would like to begin using Cortana, just follow the steps below:
- Launch the Guide and navigate to All Settings.
- Navigate to System > Cortana Settings.
- When prompted, select “I agree” to enable Cortana.
- Game Trials: Resolved an issue which could cause game trials to be available for less or more than the intended amount of time.
- System Update: Resolved an issue which could cause system updates to fail while being applied.
- OneGuide: You may encounter an error when attempting to view the TV details page for Live TV content.
Microsoft explained in early July that it will not force Cortana on Xbox One users. It is possible to choose standard Kinect commands through the console settings. However, Cortana presents a more robust way to navigate the system if you want to use voice commands.
The company says Cortana will hook into Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps eventually. At the moment functionality on the Xbox One is limited, but it will improve and become more powerful.