Microsoft’s Windows 10 Redstone Insider preview build 14279 brings with it improved integration between Messaging + Skype for mobile and PC.
Windows Insiders now have a synced SMS message history from their mobile devices in the Messaging + Skype app on their PCs.
Microsoft hinted at an integrated messaging hub when Windows 10 was revealed early last year. The company broached the topic of integrating Skype and its messaging app into Windows 10, and now, more than a year later, it appears the goods are being delivered.
For now, the integration is one-way — while messages can be viewed on PC, they cannot be sent out.
Insiders can access the feature by checking for the Windows 10 Redstone Insider build preview 14279 in Update Settings and enabling the backup feature on Messaging + Skype for both the mobile and PC apps.
Windows 10 Redstone build 14279 details
The Windows 10 Redstone build 14279 includes a bevy of new features for Windows Insiders in the Fast Ring:
- Expanded language options for Cortana: Cortana, everyone’s favorite Windows 10 personal assistant, is now available in Mexican Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and French Canadian dialects.
- Cortana reminders: Just tell Cortana to remind you to do something, and they will surface when you need them. Specific locations, dates and times can be set, or simply set a reminder for a mundane task like walking the dog.
- New logon screen: The Lock screen and logon screen now share the same background. Custom Lock screen backgrounds will now appear as the logon screen background.
- Improvements to Japanese IME: Typing will be smoother and there is more prediction content.
- Sway integration with the Photos app: Turn your photo album into an interactive, web-based display using Sway.
- Updates to the Xbox beta: A Gamerscore Leaderboard and an updated Featured section have been added.
The Redstone build also contains numerous bug fixes for PC.
Microsoft will release Redstone to the public in two phases, with the first landing in June and the second slated for Spring 2017.