If you are new to Discord, you might be wondering what the difference is between a Discord user name and a Discord nickname. In this blog post, we will explain the main features and functions of both, and how you can customize them to suit your preferences.
The Discord User Name
A user name is the name that you choose when you create your Discord account. A user name consists of two parts: a name and a tag. The name can be up to 32 characters long and can include letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces. The tag is a four-digit number that Discord randomly assigns you. It helps to identify you among other users who might have the same name. For example, your user name could be something like AwesomeUser#1234. If you change your Discord username, this will affect all servers you are subscribed to.
A nickname is the name that you can set for yourself on a specific server. It is not unique and can be changed at any time. A nickname can also be up to 32 characters long and can include letters, numbers, symbols, and spaces. However, a nickname does not have a tag attached to it. For example, your nickname on a server could be something like CoolDude.
The main difference between a user name and a nickname is that the Discord user name is global and permanent, while a Discord nickname is local on the server level and temporary. The user name is how you are recognized by Discord and other users across all servers and platforms. A nickname is how you are recognized by other users on a specific server only. You can have different nicknames on different servers, or no nickname at all.
To change your Discord nickname, you need to have permission from the server owner or an administrator. Below we show you both how to change your name on Discord (user name) and how to change nicknames on Discord.
Cool Discord Names
- Use a Discord name generator. There are many online tools that can help you create unique and catchy names based on your preferences, such as your hobbies, interests, personality traits, etc. Some good ones are Discord Name Generator, Discord Name Generator with Stylish Symbols ツ, and Discord Name Generator powered by AI.
- Use symbols and emojis. You can spice up your name by adding some symbols and emojis that reflect your style, mood, or theme. For example, you can use stars, hearts, skulls, fire, etc. to make your name stand out. However, be careful not to overdo it or use symbols that are hard to read or type.
- Use capitalization and punctuation. You can also use capitalization and punctuation to create some cool effects for your name. For example, you can use all caps, alternating caps, or lowercase letters to emphasize your name. You can also use periods, dashes, underscores, or spaces to separate words or syllables.
- Use wordplay and rhymes. Another way to make cool usernames for Discord (or nicknames) is to use wordplay and rhymes. You can use puns, jokes, references, or slang words to make your name funny or clever. You can also use rhymes or alliterations to make your name catchy or memorable.
- Use a theme or a niche. Finally, you can use a theme or a niche to make your name cool and relevant. You can choose a theme or a niche that suits your personality, interests, hobbies, or fandoms. For example, you can use a name related to gaming, anime, music, movies, etc.
Here are some examples of cool discord names based on these tips:
MrDanGFanG (❁´◡`❁) (name generator + ascii art)
How to Change Your Nickname on Discord Servers
- You must be a member of a server that allows you to change your nickname. Some servers may have this option disabled or restricted to certain roles.
- You must have the permission to change your nickname on the server. You can check your permissions by right-clicking on the server icon and selecting “Server Settings”. You might want to ask the Discord server admin to allow you to change your Discord nickname if this is not enabled for you.
- Select on the server you want to change the Discord nickname on and tap on your current Discord nickname
- Tap the pen button on your Discord profile card and then “Edit Server Profile”
- Change your Discord nickname and click “Save Changes”
Alternatively to this manual method, if you prefer a faster way and don't mind it being more visible to others, you can use the slash command “/nick” and then type in the new Discord nickname you want in the chat for that server to change it quickly.
How to Change Your Discord Name (User Name)
If you change your Discord username, this will affect all servers you are subscribed to. If you want to just change the Discord nickname on a particular server, please use the other method.
- Select a server and tap on the settings wheel next to your current Discord name/nickname
- In “My Account” tap “Edit” next to your Discord username
- Enter a new Discord username and click “Done” to save it
Extra: How to Make a Discord Server
One of the features that makes Discord stand out is the ability to create and join Discord servers, which are essentially groups of channels where people can chat, voice call, stream, and share media. In our other guide, we will explain what Discord servers are, how to create and join Discord servers, and some tips for managing and moderating them.
Extra: How to Add Bots to Discord Servers
Discord bots are automated programs that can perform various tasks within the platform, such as playing music, moderating chat, and providing information. These bots can be added to a Discord server by the server owner or members with the necessary permissions. Unlike other computer programs such as web browsers, WhatsApp, or office applications, Discord bots are specifically designed to run on Discord servers. Adding a Discord bot to your server is simple. Just follow our other guide to learn how to add bots to a Discord server.