Instagram is one of the world's most popular social media platforms, with over 1 billion monthly active users. Your username is your identity on Instagram, and it can have a big impact on how people perceive you and your content. With more and more followers, you might want to change your username for various reasons.
Changing the Instagram Username to Rebrand Yourself or Your Business
If you have changed your niche, target audience, or style of content, you might want to change your username to reflect that. For example, if you used to post about travel and now you post about fitness, you might want to change your username from @travelwithme to @fitwithme. Or if you have changed your business name or logo, you might want to update your username accordingly. For example, if you used to sell handmade jewelry and now you sell digital products, you might want to change your username from @handmadejewels to @digitaljewels.
Making Your Instagram Username More Memorable or Catchy
If your current username is too long, complicated, or hard to spell, you might want to change it to something more simple and catchy. For example, if your current username is @jennifer_smith_1987, you might want to change it to @jennysmith or @jenny.smith. Or if your current username is too generic or boring, you might want to change it to something more unique and creative. For example, if your current username is @foodlover, you might want to change it to @foodiesaurus or @foodventures.
Matching Your Instagram Username With Other Platforms
If you have a presence on other social media platforms or websites, you might want to change your username on Instagram to match them. This can help you create a consistent brand identity and make it easier for people to find you across different platforms. For example, if your username on Twitter is @thebookworm, you might want to change your username on Instagram from @booklover123 to @thebookworm as well.
Changing the Instagram username to avoid confusion or conflict
If your current username is similar or identical to someone else's username, you might want to change it to avoid confusion or conflict. For example, if your current username is @taylorswift and you are not the famous singer, you might want to change it to something more distinctive and personal. Or if your current username is @starbucks and you are not the official account of the coffee chain, you might want to change it to avoid legal issues or angry fans.
Good Usernames for Instagram
Good usernames for Instagram reflect personality, brand, or niche, and that are easy to remember and search for. Here are some tips and ideas to help you find the perfect username for your Instagram account:
- Use your name or a variation of it. This can make your username more personal and recognizable, especially if you have a common name. For example, @jessicaalba, @taylorswift, @kevinhart4real.
- Use keywords related to your niche or industry. This can help you attract followers who are interested in your content and show what you do or offer. For example, @travelandleisure, @foodnetwork, @yogawithadriene.
- Use a catchy phrase or wordplay. This can make your username more memorable and creative, and show your sense of humor or style. For example, @maketheleap, @photoshopjamielyn, @brunettethelabel.
- Use punctuation or symbols to spice up your username. This can help you stand out from the crowd and add some flair to your name. For example, @fentyskin, @instausername.com, @ladygaga.
- Check the availability of your username on other platforms. This can help you maintain consistency and avoid confusion across different social media sites. You can use tools like Namechk or Knowem to check if your username is taken or not.
Before you change your username, make sure you consider the pros and cons of doing so. For example, changing your username can confuse or lose some of your existing followers who might not recognize you anymore. It can also affect your SEO ranking and visibility on search engines and other platforms. Therefore, make sure you choose a new username that suits your goals and personality, and communicate the change clearly with your audience.
How to Change Your Name on Instagram in the Mobile App
- Tap on your Instagram profile picture
- Select “Edit profile”
- Tap your Instagram Name or Instagram Username for editing
Your Instagram name and your Instagram username are two different things. Your Instagram name is the display name that appears on your profile, next to your profile picture. It can be anything you want if it follows the community guidelines. Your Instagram username is the unique identifier that appears in your profile URL and allows people to find you on the app. It starts with an @ symbol and can only contain letters, numbers, periods, and underscores. You can change both your Instagram name and your Instagram username anytime in your account settings.
- Enter a new name and tap the hook symbol to confirm
- Tap the hook symbol again to save the changed Instagram name/username
How to Change Your Name on Instagram on PC/Web
You can use the following method both in the web-browsr or the official app for PC to change your Instagram name and Instagram username.