This article was contributed by Ihor Kyselov who is the owner and CEO of AppleParts.io.
According to research, over 30 million MacBooks have been sold since 2006. With so many devices in circulation, knowing your serial number is essential to finding spare parts and accessories for your device. In this guide, we'll explain how to find a MacBook by serial number and how it can be used to identify compatible parts or accessories.
By the end of this guide, you'll understand how to locate and use the MacBook serial number to ensure that any replacement parts or accessories you purchase are guaranteed to work with your device. Let's get started!
Why Is Knowing the Serial Number of Your MacBook Important?
Serial numbers of Apple products contain an encrypted language that can provide all the information about your Apple device that can't be found in another way (manufacturing location, date of manufacture, etc.). This information may be useful for a number of reasons — troubleshooting your device, for instance.
Moreover, knowing the serial number is essential for finding the correct parts for your MacBook. It can be used to determine your device's exact model and generation, allowing you to find compatible parts or accessories more easily. Here are the main reasons why you should know the serial number of your MacBook:
- identifying compatible parts or accessories for repair and replacement is more accessible;
- knowing your device's exact model and generation allows you to purchase only verified, compatible items;
- you can check whether a warranty is still valid using the serial number;
- the serial number can be used to track stolen devices in some cases.
How Do I Find My MacBook Serial Number?
You can find the serial number of your MacBook in two ways, depending on its age:
- New MacBooks. The serial number is printed in the bottom right corner of the laptop case. To locate it quickly, flip your device over. It should be etched onto a silver-colored barcode label alongside other identifying information such as model type, date of manufacture, and MAC address.
- Older MacBooks. You must turn your computer on to see the serial number. From the Apple menu at the top left corner of your screen, select “About This Mac” and then click “More Info” from the window that appears. Under the “Hardware” tab, you should see the serial number listed at the bottom of the page.
A Guide to Using Your MacBook Serial Number to Find Compatible Parts and Accessories
Now you know how to locate the serial number of your MacBook, but what should you do with it? Here are some tips for using your serial number to find compatible parts and accessories.
1. Use an Apple Parts Lookup Tool
Many online stores, such as iFixit or MacPartsOnline, offer a parts lookup tool that allows you to enter your device serial number to view a list of compatible replacement products. This is a handy tool for finding items such as a new battery, display assembly, or even replacement screws.
2. Follow Manufacturer Specifications
Certain manufacturers will provide exact product specifications on their website or download page. When purchasing any type of accessory or replacement part for your device, check the manufacturer's specifications to ensure complete compatibility. Manufacturer websites will provide the exact serial number prefix for compatible models, so double-check before purchasing.
3. Verify Reputable Sources
When buying replacement parts or accessories for your MacBook, it's essential to only purchase them from reputable sources such as Apple or trusted online retailers like Amazon. Doing so will help you avoid issues with incompatible parts or poor quality. Reputability can also be determined by reading customer reviews, so research before purchasing.
4. Use a Serial Number Decoder
Several websites offer serial number decoders that allow you to enter your device serial number and view details such as model type, date of manufacture, and other identifying information. This is a great way to double-check that you have the correct serial number to find compatible parts and accessories.
Following these steps, you can easily use your serial number to find compatible parts and accessories for your device. You'll also be able to verify warranties and track stolen devices quickly.
Finding the serial number of your MacBook and using it to find compatible parts and accessories can save you time and money. Moreover, knowing the serial number structure can help you troubleshoot issues with the device that may arise.
We hope this guide has given you a comprehensive understanding of the process and how to proceed. Always verify reputable sources, double-check your serial number, and follow manufacturer specifications to ensure your purchase is compatible with your device. Our team is always ready to assist you, so in case you have any questions, please get in touch with us for more information.
About the Author
Ihor Kyselov is the owner and CEO of AppleParts.io, founded in 2017, the number one source for Apple Parts. Apple Parts is dedicated to providing the best Apple Parts, focusing on affordability, quality, and exceptional customer service.