Snapchat is one of the world's most popular social networking apps. More than 493 million Snapchat users share around 8,800 photographs each second. New filters, games, or features are constantly added to keep users engaged with Snapchat.
However, Snapchat's critics have grown in number in recent years. Many people are concerned about Snapchat's privacy policies and the quantity of personal data it saves and gathers. Furthermore, many people believe that the app has harmed their mental health, particularly during the COVID-19 epidemic.
Many long-term users don´t know that Snapchat has a bigger potential privacy problem than initially expected. It includes internal tools called SnapLion that were developed to access private device data in response to law enforcement inquiries. They cover anything from location data and stored photographs (Snaps) up to personal contact information.
If you no longer wish to use your Snapchat, it therefore is a good idea to completely delete your Snapchat account. Otherwise, your data might be used without explicit consent or hackers might gain access. Once a Snapchat account has been deleted, you can use the exact same registration details to create a new account if you decide to start from scratch.
What will happen when you delete your Snapchat Account?
A 30-day interim period begins the moment you finalize the procedure to delete your Snapchat account. You now have a little more than four weeks to change your mind if you decide to. Snapchat deletes the following data from its database after 30 days:
- Account Configuration
- Friends \ Snaps \ Chats
- Data from the device Location data
- Some of your personal information may stay in the Snapchat database for “some legal, security, and commercial purposes,” according to Snapchat.
How to delete your Snapchat account on your computer
To delete your Snapchat account on a PC, you first need to access your Snapchat account via the web. Once you have entered your Snapchat credentials on the Snapchat login page, follow these steps.
- Click on the “Profile” icon at the top-left corner
- Click on “Account Settings” from the context menu options
This step will take you to your Snapchat Account Settings in a new tab.
- In your Snapchat Account Settings, click on “DELETE MY ACCOUNT”
- To confirm deleting your account, enter your Snapchat credentials and click “Continue”
- Your account will be deactivated
Once your account is deactivated, it will be deleted after 30 days of deactivation. You can reactivate your Snapchat account by logging in within 30 days of deactivation.
How to delete Your Snapchat account on your iPhone or Android
You can quickly delete your Snapchat account from your Smartphone through the following steps.
- Tap the “Profile” icon at the top-left corner
- In your Snapchat profile, tap “Settings” icon at the top right corner
- In your Snapchat Settings, tap “I Need Help”
- In the Snapchat Help section, tap “Managing My Account” on your screen
- Under “Managing My Account”, select “Deleting or reactivating my account” from the options
- Tap on “How do I delete my Snapchat account?”
- Tap the hyperlink that navigates to your Snapchat account portal, as shown in the picture
- To confirm deleting the Snapchat account, enter your credentials and tap “Continue”