- 1 How to set Focus Sessions with the Windows 11 Clock app
- 2 How to Change Focus sessions settings
- 3 How to use the Timer feature of the Windows 11 Clock app
- 4 How to set Alarms with the Windows 11 Clock App
- 5 How to use the Windows 11 Stopwatch in the Clock app
- 6 How to use the Windows 11 World Clock in the Clock app
- 7 Available Settings for the Windows 11 Clock app
- 8 EXTRA: How to Use the Windows 10 Alarms and Clock App
This tutorial will show you how to get the best experience using the Clock Application in Windows 11. It was formerly known as “Alarms & Clock in Windows 10. Microsoft introduced some new clock application features that allow users to make the most of their time.
In Windows 10, the “Alarm & Clock” application allowed the users to use an alarm clock widget, set timers, use the desktop stopwatch, and use different clock apps to display time. Windows 11 came to us with another helpful feature, allowing us to have a focus time where we can get the most of our work done.
It is Windows 11's Built-in Pomodoro Timer. A time management technique called the Pomodoro Technique sets 25 minutes timer for intense concentration followed by five minutes of rest. After four consecutive work cycles, longer breaks are taken. The Italian term for tomato, Pomodoro, refers to each work interval. That's why it is also called a tomato timer.
It connects with the Spotify service and the Microsoft To-Do app to help you start sessions. Automatic breaks are also a part of the feature, and a Daily Progress widget will keep track of session statistics. You don't need to install third-party applications. So, how do you use the built in Windows 11 productivity timer? Let's find out.
How to set Focus Sessions with the Windows 11 Clock app
The following is the standard way to use the focus sessions on Clock in Windows 11. It involves a series of steps which are explained down below.
- Open Start and launch the Windows 11 Clock app searching for “Clock”
- Click on “Focus Sessions” and select the “Sign in” Option
- Sign in with your Microsoft account
You need to sign in using your Microsoft Account and click on “Continue”.
- Click on “Yes” to give the Windows 11 Clock app the necessary permissions
- Select “Get Started”
This will take you to the UI where you will be integrating with your Pomodoro session functionalities. You will be able to access Spotify account management through the Digital Clock app.
- Click on “Link Your Spotify”
It will open a popup window where you will be asked to connect via Facebook, Apple, or Google.
- Log into Spotify
You can log in from all of the below-mentioned options.
- Click On “Agree”
By agreeing, you will allow Focus Sessions access to your data. You will be able to control your Spotify on your device.
- Click on “Add a task”
- Set a description for your task
- Define your Focus Session
After selecting the task for a focus session, you can select your playlist from Spotify at the same UI. It also lets you specify the time for each session to last.
- Click on “Keep on top” if needed
To minimize the app into a less distracting element on the screen, click the “Keep on top” button in the top-right corner. The focus session is always under your control, and you can pause and resume music anytime. Additionally, your sessions will be tracked under “Daily progress.”
- You can click the upper left button to expand it again if necessary
How to Change Focus sessions settings
While the basic focus session functionality is simple to use, exploring the customization options will help you get more out of it.
- Open the Windows 11 Clock app
- Click on “Settings” and expand the “Focus Periods” drop-down options menu
You may choose the duration of the focus and break intervals by selecting the menu.
- Specify the Sound for when the Focus Session Ends
The numerous sounds that indicate when a session begins or ends can be changed.
- The Windows 11 clock app comes with a few sounds to choose from
- Select “End of the Break Sound” if you want to get notified with a sound
- Select one of the provided sounds
- Connect your Spotify account to sync it with the Windows 11 Clock app
Connecting the Windows 11 clock app with Spotify lets you create sessions playing your favorite tunes to improve your focus while you are working.
- To activate the Microsoft To-Do integration, flip on the To-Do toggle switch
How to use the Timer feature of the Windows 11 Clock app
In Windows 11, setting a timer is significantly easier. Four default timers are accessible when you open the Timer tab in the Clock app. To keep track of time, feel free to use, modify, or create additional timers.
- Open the Start Menu and type in “Clock”, then click the top result
- Click on Timer and click the + button at the bottom right corner
- Choose an interval and a name for your new timer
How to set Alarms with the Windows 11 Clock App
The Alarm feature of the Windows 11 Clock app might be helpful if you need assistance waking up or keeping track of recurring chores. One “good morning” alarm from Microsoft is included, but you may add more. Spend time adjusting the tone for each alarm and the days you want it to repeat for the best results.
- Open the Start Menu and search for “Clock”, then click the top result
- Click on “Alarm” and then the + Icon at the bottom right corner
- Set the Alarm times and click on “Save”
How to use the Windows 11 Stopwatch in the Clock app
The Windows 11 Clock app's Stopwatch tab is intended for sporting events. Start the stopwatch to time anything precisely and keep track of your laps.
- Open the Start Menu and search for “Clock”, then click the top result
- Select “Stopwatch” and hit the button below on the left to start
- To mark a lap, click the flag button in the centerThe Windows 11 stopwatch will create a list with lap times at the bottom.
- To reset the Windows 11 stopwatch, click the button with the rounded arrow
How to use the Windows 11 World Clock in the Clock app
Use these instructions to view the date and time in various locations worldwide. This feature will be helpful if you travel frequently or have friends or coworkers in other countries.
- Open the Start Menu and type “Clock”, then click the top result
- Select “World Clock” and click on the + button at the bottom right corner
- Add a new location
- Then choose your local time along with the time of the added location
Available Settings for the Windows 11 Clock app
You can also change the settings for the Clock application. You can modify the notifications, theme, and Privacy. Follow along with these steps.
- Open the Start Menu and open the Clock app from there
- You can choose a light or dark “App Theme”
It will give you several options to select whether to have a Light or a Dark theme for the Application. You can also go for the System Settings.
- You can change the “Notification Settings” if needed
- Under Privacy, you can clear the accumulated history of the Windows 11 clock app
EXTRA: How to Use the Windows 10 Alarms and Clock App
The Windows 10 timer, alarm and clock app features a full-screen mode for distance viewing, for example, and you can add individual lap times with the Windows 10 Stopwatch. If you are still running Windows 10 and want to know how to use the Alarms and Clock App, check out this tutorial.