This article was contributed by Costa Lamprou who works as the head of PPC at The Elearning Industry Network.
Employee training is an essential part of the onboarding process and a significant patron of the company’s growth and success. These programs enable employees to perform their tasks with effectiveness and diligence. In-depth knowledge of all the aspects related to their work is a by-product of these training programs. A skilled workforce is more productive and has more to offer to the Company’s growth.
There are a set of benefits of these training programs:
- Individual growth: These programs aid employees to perform their best and utilizing the maximum potential they possess. It helps them gain a good amount of in-depth knowledge in their field, thus helping them to be more productive at their jobs.
- Career growth: As employees gain knowledge in their respective domains through various training programs, they get promoted to higher positions, thus leading to a transition in their careers.
- Engaged employees: When employees have better knowledge and skill in doing their work, they engage more and stay motivated during work hours, thus increasing their productivity and contribution to the company.
- Organizational efficiency: Skilled employees make minimum errors while performing their tasks and help the firm in delivering the desired product and services to their clients.
- Lowering turnover rate: An important part of a training program is ensuring employee satisfaction as this results in making them feel appreciated in the company, leading to their retention in it, and thus lowering the turnover rate of the company.
Best practices to deliver an effective training program:
- Goal setting: Have a clear goal for the training program and measure the outcomes accordingly. Seek feedback from the trainees and take tests on the session’s content.
- Using graphical representations: Make the sessions more engaging by introducing slideshows and illustrations. That would help retain the information longer and grab their attention span for a longer duration.
- Experiment with new techniques: Use new techniques or software training tools like Docebo for training purposes. Test your innovative skills over a small group of trainees and keep updating accordingly.
- Appoint skilled trainers: If the person delivering the lecture or handling the training classes is a good speaker and has the ability to engage the learners, then that program is sure to succeed. In-depth knowledge checking of the trainer before the classes will ensure that the class will be managed well.
- Organize regular classes: Regular classes are a massive win in the case of training programs cause consistency is the key. A follow-up session along with the study material will ensure the sincerity of the program to an employee.
- Flexible sessions: Do not impose a strict schedule on your employees, this will only lead to a distaste for the program. Rather, plan the session as per the feedback received from most employees and keep the sessions crisp and to the point.
- Use of different media tools: Incorporating audio-visual tools for imparting training is an effective way of communication ensuring that the information is absorbed well by the learner.
- Identify the skill requirements of the trainee: Identifying the skill requirement will help the organization provide the trainee with programs they will stick to with utter interest and learn from it.
Conclusion: Based on the type of workforce of a company, it is essential to make changes to the above-mentioned techniques. As all the techniques may not be applicable to every company’s culture and requirements. Having sufficiently skilled and knowledgeable employees help run companies smoothly, avoiding silly mistakes that might hamper growth. The best practices mentioned above will help you conduct well-planned training programs.
About the author
Costa Lamprou is the head of PPC at The Elearning Industry Network. With experience in everything ranging from product development and sales to training and PPC, Costa helps eLearning businesses reach their full lead gen potential. When he isn’t helping clients succeed, Costa likes to expand his marketing horizons with the help of eLearning courses.