This article was contributed by Nick Saraev, a machine learning engineer writing for darkcubed.
In the modern age, technology is a crucial ally for businesses of all sizes. Not having a website is like not having a telephone—you might still technically be ‘in business', but you're missing out on a key communications tool with a marked impact on your ability to reach customers, partners, and employees.
Websites are one of the most important channels through which businesses can reach their target markets. They provide a space for businesses to share information about their products and services, as well as their company culture and ethos. A well-designed website can also help businesses to generate leads and sales, and create an online presence that customers can trust.
But website design can seem daunting, especially for businesses that are new to online marketing. In this article, we'll cover three things to consider when designing your business website: what to put on your website, how to make it look good, and how to drive traffic to it.
What every business website should include
To start, let's take a look at the key things that every business website should include.
- Your company's story
Your website is the perfect place to share your company's story with potential customers. What inspired you to start your business? What are your core values, and how do they influence your products and services? What do your customers love about you? Share as much information as you can on your website, and make sure it's easy for visitors to read.
- Your products and services
Your website is also the perfect place to showcase your products and services. Detail what each product or service does, and provide images and videos to help potential customers understand what you offer. Make sure your product descriptions are clear and concise, and that you list any special features or benefits that your products have.
- Your company culture
Your website is also a great place to show off your company culture. What makes your team unique? What do your employees love about working at your company? Share photos and stories that show off what it's like to work at your business.
- Your contact information
Make sure your website includes clear contact information, including your company address, phone number, and email address. You may also want to include a contact form so potential customers can easily get in touch with you.
Making your website look good
Making your website look good is key to encouraging customers to stick around. Here are some tips:
– Keep it simple. Don't try to cram too much information onto your home page – people will only scan it for the most important details. Instead, focus on creating a clear and concise website that tells your story in an easy-to-read format.
– Use typography to your advantage. Choose a typeface that is easy to read and reflects your brand's personality. You can also use different fonts to create visual interest and highlight important information.
– Use images and videos. Images and videos are a great way to add visual interest to your website and help to explain your products or services. Just make sure you have the rights to use any images or videos that you include on your site.
– Keep it up to date. Make sure you regularly update your website with new content, including blog posts, news stories, and product updates.
How to drive traffic to your website
Many businesses make the mistake of creating a website and then leaving it to languish, without any effort to drive traffic to it. But without traffic, your website is essentially useless.
There are a number of ways to drive traffic to your website, including:
– Search engine optimization (SEO): Optimizing your website for search engines so that it appears higher in search results.
– Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising: Advertising your website on search engines and other websites through programs like Google AdWords.
– Social media marketing: Promoting your website on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
– Email marketing: Sending emails to your customers about your website and products/services.
– MSP marketing: MSPs, or managed service providers, use MSP websites to market their services to businesses (and typically do a stellar job)
– Online directories: Listing your website on online directories like Google Places, Yahoo! Local, and Yelp.
Driving traffic to your website is an essential part of online marketing, and there are a variety of ways to do it. By using a mix of these methods, you can ensure that your website receives the traffic it deserves.
In summary, there are many reasons why businesses should have a website, including:
– To share information about their products and services
– To create an online presence that customers can trust
– To generate leads and sales
Follow the tips above, and you'll be on your way to creating a website that's perfect for your business.
About the author
Nick Saraev is a machine learning engineer & writer with a passion for technology. He's fascinated with intelligent agents & how they behave.