Skype Insiders are receiving a new update for the Microsoft-owned communication app. This is a sizeable preview release that brings some new features to the tool. Furthermore, Microsoft has also squashed some persistent Skype bugs.
Some of the additions for Insiders are already available in the wild. For example, the integration of Skype’s Meet Now tool in the Windows 10 system tray.
While it seems like Microsoft Teams and Skype Meet Now are competing, that’s not really the case. Teams is much more focused towards enterprises with collaboration tools and more support for participants. It seems Meet Now is more suited to 1:1 meetings.
Elsewhere in the latest Skype Insider update, Microsoft has made improvements for Android 11 users. Specifically, chat bubbles are now available and priority conversations now perform better.
- MeetNow integration in Windows 10 System Tray. We have been closely working with the Windows Team to give you an option to quickly create a meeting directly from Windows. Based on your Windows version (not exactly related to this Skype Insider build) you should see the MeetNow icon in your system tray.
- Large Grid mode for video calling so you can see up to 49 participants at once on a single screen.
- Improvements for Android 11 such as chat bubbles, priority conversation and conversation space.
- We have improved the option how to add someone to an ongoing Skype call by selecting their phone number as well as via Skype.
- We have also boosted up the performance by updating to the latest version of the React Native.
- Video freezes when typing a message during a call
- Videos in chat freeze on the first frame and do not play
- Skype prevents Macbook from auto sleep
Microsoft Skype team also mentioned that they will bring the following features to Skype in the future.
- Updating Skype for Amazon Kindle Fire
- Categories for predefined background images
- Together Mode
- Noise Cancellation
- Last message avatar icon