One of the standout reveals at an Ignite 2019 conference chock full of announcements was an entirely new Outlook for Mac experience. This is particularly exciting because it provides a completely overhauled UI for email client.
With the new design, Microsoft has transformed how Outlook for Mac looks and functions. Specifically, the company has removed the ribbon that has become so familiar across its Office apps. In its place is a new customizable toolbar experience.
According to Microsoft, the new functional interface cuts back on visual clutter and allows users to focus on work.
Elsewhere on the Outlook for Mac update, Microsoft sync technology has been supported. Users on iOS, Windows Mail, and Android already have this tool, which allows users to more efficiently sync their content.
Other additions announced at Ignite 2019 include and improved search experience and reduced email load times.
- “Customizable toolbar: Choose commands to display in the Toolbar. In the Toolbar, select the more icon More options, then Customize Toolbar… .
- Improved search: Search is now powered by Microsoft Search and has better results and suggestions. Click in the search field or use keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+F to search.
- My Day: View upcoming events in agenda or day view in the main window for mail. Select My Day in the View menu or use keyboard shortcut Shift+Command+] to turn My Day on or off.
- Improved RSVP to meetings: Respond to meeting invites with email responses to the organizer directly from the Reading Pane. Type a message in the text field in the meeting invite and select Accept, Tentative, Decline, or Propose New Time.
- More Office 365 Groups, including Calendars: View all your Office 365 Groups in Mail and Calendar view. In Mail, Groups are located under the Groups node for your account. In Calendar, Groups are located after calendar folders for your account.
- Nested compose in the Reading Pane: Reply to messages without opening a new compose window. Select Reply, Reply All, or Forward in the Reading Pane, Toolbar, or Message menu or use keyboard shortcuts Command+R, Shift+Command+R, or Command+J.
- Ignore Conversation: Delete all messages in a conversation, including messages already received and any new messages. Select Ignore Conversation in the Toolbar, Message menu, or message context menu, then confirm that you want to ignore the conversation.
- Improved event scheduling: Create events by selecting a time block in the calendar grid. Add event details, including attendees and locations, and view attendee availability directly in the popover before sending. When creating a new meeting, view attendee availability directly in the event window and adjust the time of the event by moving the event within the day view. For meetings with large numbers of attendees, use the Scheduling Assistant to view availability, add and remove attendees, and reserve resources (such as conference rooms).”