Microsoft has issued an update for its Chromium Edge preview. Specifically, this is a Dev Channel release and part of the weekly update branch. With build number 78.0.268.1, this update is not as feature rich as others, but does include one interesting new improvement.
Chromium Edge users will now see an improvement in the Collections feature. This is a tool Microsoft introduced last month. Collections helps users organize and share website information to help keep track of data. Microsoft says many users find the internet and overwhelming place and are often cluttered. With this vast information, Collections helps to organize into actionable tools.
Microsoft says the feature leverages “Cloud featured intelligence and an intuitive interface to help you collect, organize and share content” as you browse content on the web.
Collections provides “intelligent export to apps like Word and Excel preserves the logical structure of your content. You can turn loose paragraphs into a handout with citations, or turn a shopping list into a spreadsheet sortable by price”.
In terms of Dev Channel improvements for Collections, users can now reorder items via keyboard input.
- “Added new logging features to feedback submission. If you click the diagnostic data link on the feedback submission popup, you now have the option to attach additional files like screenshots you’ve taken, as well as reproduce the problem to provide more robust logging.
- Added the ability for Collections items to be reordered with the keyboard.
- Added a management policy to allow history syncing for work or school accounts.
- Fixed an issue where favorites weren’t syncing.
- Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items on certain internal pages like Favorites sometimes causes the item to disappear.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes crashes the browser.
- Improved reliability when signed into the browser with a work or school account.
- Improved the reliability of starting Application Guard sessions.
- Fixed an issue where certain context menu commands for tabs like “Reopen closed tab” went missing.
- Fixed an issue where webpages installed as apps don’t launch.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to open a PDF in an Application Guard window will fail if there are no other Edge windows open.
- Fixed an issue where the browser’s profile image sometimes isn’t updated if it’s changed in the backing account.
- Fixed an issue where tabs with the Find on Page popup open sometimes have the popup closed when they’re moved to different windows.
- Fixed an issue where opening an app from the Apps page closes the apps page.
- Fixed an issue where the Read Aloud bar sometimes appears transparent.
- Fixed an issue where attempting to open multiple Collections items in a new window opened each item in a separate window.
- Fixed an issue where the context menu inside a Collection isn’t dismissed when a new context menu is brought up outside of Collections.”
Beta Channel Debut
This update should make its way to the Beta Channel over the coming weeks. Microsoft debuted its beta channel for Chromium Edge in August.
“Beta represents the most stable preview channel, as features are added to Beta only after they have cleared quality testing in first the Canary channel and then the Dev channel,” explains Joe Belfiore, CVP of Microsoft’s Windows Experiences. “Major version updates can be expected roughly every six weeks, alongside periodic minor updates for bug fixes and security.”