Microsoft has rolled out a new preview build on the Dev channel of its Chromium Edge web browser. This release brings the preview up to Version 126.96.36.199. Included in the update are several new features and slew of bug fixes.
In terms of those new features, Chromium Edge users can now ink over screenshots taken in the browser. With the tool, annotating something can be performed before saving the image.
Elsewhere, Microsoft has drafted in a feature that is already available on the UWP version of Edge. Specially, users can now import their settings from that older version to the Chrome-based Edge. This is an important addition that will make it easier for users to transition.
Finally, Microsoft has also changed extension management. Chromium Edge supports all extensions that are available in the Google Chrome extensions store. Version 188.8.131.52 now prevents any extensions that are banned from the store form being installed.
- Added the ability to mark up screenshots with ink.
- Prevented extensions that are banned from the Chrome extensions store from being installed.
- Added messaging to better help users for some cases when Internet Explorer mode fails to start.
- Added the ability to import settings from the original version of Edge.
- Added additional text to identify when a window is InPrivate or Guest.
- Fixed a crash when pressing Tab.
- Fixed a crash when pressing F6.
- Fixed an issue where the Downloads page sometimes didn’t render.
- Fixed an issue where Netflix was slow when playing 4K video.
- Fixed a crash when installing extensions.
- Fixed a hang when playing certain types of videos.
- Fixed some hangs when opening Application Guard windows.
- Fixed an issue where the popup blocker would sometimes fail to work in Internet Explorer mode.
- Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes fails to start properly.
- Fixed some issues where opening certain PDF files sometimes failed.
- Fixed an issue where SafeSearch couldn’t be turned on.
- Fixed an issue where selecting all text in a PDF didn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the Apps page occasionally shows duplicate entries.
- Fixed an issue where languages were getting added to edge://settings/languages when they shouldn’t have been.
- Fixed an issue where PDF form fields sometimes don’t appear properly.
- Fixed an issue where tab icons are occasionally the wrong color.
- Fixed an issue where address bar icons are occasionally the wrong color.
- Fixed an issue where certain icons weren’t displaying correctly in certain countries.
- Fixed an issue where the correct start page wasn’t appearing in some countries.
- Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes didn’t display in the proper language.
As we reported earlier this week, Microsoft is planning two new development channels for Chromium Edge. Chromium Edge is so far only available on Canary and Dev channels. Canary builds are daily and unstable, whereas Dev releases are weekly and a little better. However, Microsoft previously announced a beta channel, which would be more stable.
Yesterday, a leak suggested Microsoft is planning two new channels. The aforementioned Beta and a previously unknown Stable channel. This is the first time we’ve seen a beta version for Chromium Edge in the wild and indicates that this phase of testing is coming soon.