At the end of last month, Microsoft rolled out its Chromium Edge browser in preview on older Windows versions. The Chromium-based browser is available for Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1. Users are able to access the web browser through the Dev channel.
If you are unfamiliar with the channel network for Chromium Edge, the Dev channel is the middle branch. It comes with weekly updates and is so far the most stable Chromium-based Edge available. Windows 10 also has the Canary channel, which offers daily updates and is more unstable. The Beta channel will be the most stable, but has yet to be launched.
Back to Chromium Edge on Win7, 8, 8.1, which received its latest Edge Dev channel release yesterday. Microsoft updated the preview to build number 18.104.22.168, with a focus placed on bug fixes.
However, there were also some new features thrown into the mix. For example, users on Windows 7, 8, and 8.1 can now toggle Chromium Edge to dark mode. Elsewhere, Microsoft made some performance improvements.
The full release notes are below:
- Added more strings to the translation work
- Prevent IE-Mode in Application Guard containers
- Ability to set text size and background theme in Reading View is now under flag.
- Ability to use dark mode on downlevel Windows versions 7, 8 & 8.1
- Search box now clears content with Esc or “x” button
- Fixes for improved reliability:
- Fixed a crash on Extensions page.
- Fixed a crash in API keys
- Fixed a crash while opening PDFs
- Fix crash in Sync service
- Fix crash due to cached call in renderer
- Fix deadlock in Windows, where Microsoft Edge blocks shutdown.
- Fix crash in JSON parser
- Fixes for improved behavior:
- Fix preventing URL redirection in Application Guard.
- Fix to prevent creation of database until needed (performance)
- Subpage headers display the number of search results.
- Fix to close Profile UI on sign-in
- Dev Tools support using OS theme color on Windows 10
- Fix color contrast for selected favorites
- Fixed Copy / Paste keyboard shortcuts on macOS
- Fix for z-order on history page
- Fixed transparency issue on First Run Experience
- Strengthened launching logic for PDF to specified file names and paths
- Fix to show FavIcons in Favorites management page.
- Fix for account removal in Identity
- Fix for sign-in where account pop-up was not topmost window.
- Fix for data imports from Chrome and Edge during First Run experience.