Back in May, Microsoft rolled out Update Aquatic for Minecraft. It was a significant release because it was loaded with features and coincided with Microsoft discontinuing last-gen updates for the game. Today, the company is back with Update Aquatic Phase Two.
The concepts and feature list behind the Update Aquatic were too vast for a single release. As Microsoft stopped upgrades for older Minecraft versions last time, the Update Aquatic Phase Two is available for all Java Edition and Bedrock Engine-powered platforms.
Indeed, this is the first-time teams from those two platforms worked together on a unified update. Bedrock players are running Minecraft on Windows 10, VR, mobile, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch. Java is still in development through pre-release testing.
Away from the technical aspects of Update Aquatic Phase Two, the release adds major new features. New ocean life has been added, with over 3,000 different tropical fish types.
The full changelog for Phase Two is as follows:
- A new weapon called the Trident, which includes four special enchantments – Loyalty, Impaling, Channeling and Riptide
- Procedurally generated tropical fish
- Variations of size for some adult mobs (salmon & squid)
- Nine ocean biomes
- New water physics and the ability for some blocks and water to exist within the same place (water-logged blocks)
- Realms are now available on Nintendo Switch
- The Drowned – These dangerous, underwater zombies lurk in dark, deep water and will come up to the shore at night
- Sea Turtles – These gentle creatures can be found swimming in oceans and tanning on beaches. Protect their eggs so more can hatch!
- Turtle Shell and Scute items
- Potion of the Turtle Master
- Nautilus Shells – Can be found while fishing or held by the Drowned
- Conduits can now be constructed underwater and give players the Conduit Power effect. Craft them with Nautilus Shells & Heart of the Sea
- Bubble Columns – Magma Blocks create downward flowing columns and Soul Sand creates upward flowing bubbles
- New Achievements!
- Added new commands that only affect worlds with Education Edition enabled: 1. /ability – Sets a player's ability 2. /immutableworld – Sets the immutable state of the world 3. /worldbuilder – Toggle World Builder status of caller
Back in May, Microsoft rolled out Phase One of the Update Aquatic. The update added plenty of features from dolphins to tridents, shipwrecks, icebergs, and new blocks.