Microsoft has sent out an update for the Windows Maps native application for Windows 10. The release comes with a couple of improvements to the service. This is for all Windows 10 users and is now a preview limited to Insiders.
With this latest bump, users can now share connections with contacts. Microsoft has also improved search reliability by including date and time options. Finally, navigation and UI has been improved with new shortcut menus. The company says this improves sharing and saving results from search.
For what it’s worth, here is the full changelog for the update.
- Share your collections with friends and family.
- Plan ahead and search directions with new date and time search options.
- New shortcut menus make it even easier to save and share search results and locate nearby locations.
If you are interested in the update or downloading the app fresh, you can do so from the Windows Maps app at the Microsoft Store here.
Like other maps services, Windows Maps suffers from competition from Google Maps. Google’s service is the de facto leader in this area. Microsoft has tried to address the balance over the years by making its Maps service more robust.
The list of features for the app has grown to include:
- Get driving, walking, and transit directions, including multiple stops in driving and walking routes.
- See multiple searches together on one map, including addresses, businesses, restaurants, hotels, and local attractions.
- Add notes, drawings, and annotations to your road-view map with Windows Ink.
- Choose alternate routes to avoid things like traffic, tolls, or transfers in driving and transit directions.
- Hear turn-by-turn voice-guided navigation on GPS-enabled devices.
- When you arrive, let Maps help you remember where you parked your car.
- Pin your home, work, or other favorite places to Start for one-tap guided directions from anywhere.
- Download maps to use them even without the Internet.
- See your favorites, collections, and search history across all your Windows PCs and phones.
- Explore the world in 3D with detailed imagery of more than 200 cities and landmarks.
- See 360° panoramas of a place with Streetside views.
- See current traffic, cameras, and incidents on the map and plan your trip accordingly.
- See airport gates, shops, and more in indoor venue maps.
- Get detailed business info like phone numbers, directions, addresses, business hours, and reviews.
- Print and share step-by-step driving and walking directions.
- Note: Some features may not be available on all devices and in all countries or regions.