HomeWinBuzzer NewsSurvey: OneDrive Most Popular Enterprise Cloud Storage by Some Margin

Survey: OneDrive Most Popular Enterprise Cloud Storage by Some Margin

According to a survey, OneDrive is deployed in 51% of companies worldwide, beating out Google Drive and Dropbox by a significant margin. The solution is most popular in large businesses.

-

and iCloud are incredibly popular with mobile users, but a new survey reveals the extent of OneDrive's dominance in business. Spiceworks quizzed 544 North American and European businesses on their and found a clear winner.

The survey suggests 51% of enterprises use OneDrive, with a further 6% planning to deploy in the next sixth months. Its closest competitors are Drive and , which both sit at 34% with a 1% growth over the next year.

's iCloud is the fourth at 13%, while Box, Citrix and Amazon Drive show between 3 and 6% each. However, perhaps more incredible is the huge growth OneDrive has experienced over the past two years. Spiceworks' previous survey put OneDrive at 31%, while 33% used DropBox and 27% Google Drive.

Source: Spiceworks

As you would expect, the amount of companies using cloud storage is growing, sitting at 80%. A further 16% plan to adopt within the next two years for a total of 96%. All of these figures come from those who have deployed company-wide, though there's likely some who use more than one solution.

Pulling in Large Companies

According to the survey, OneDrive is most popular in large companies, which account for 59% of its share. Comparatively, medium businesses sit at 54%, and small 47%. That picture begins to change once you look at its competitors, with Google Drive most popular for small businesses, and Dropbox medium.

Source: Spiceworks

The reason for this is quite clear: . includes 1 TB with each Office 365 Business subscription. For companies large enough to pay the $10 per user per month cost, it works out a good deal.

It seems Microsoft's government contracts and security features have also paid off. 39% of businesses in the survey said they associate OneDrive with security, versus Drive's 28%. 97% said enterprises said security was an important to extremely important priority, so OneDrive's popularity makes sense in that regard.

The information from the survey was collected in April from a variety of company sizes and industries. You can find the full write up on the Spiceworks blog.

Ryan Maskell
Ryan Maskellhttps://ryanmaskell.co.uk
Ryan has had a passion for gaming and technology since early childhood. Fusing the skills from his Creative Writing and Publishing degree with profound technical knowledge, he enjoys covering news about Microsoft. As an avid writer, he is also working on his debut novel.

Recent News