Redstone 5 preview builds are warming up nicely over on the Windows Insider Program. Microsoft is still preparing to launch Redstone 4 (April Update), but is also deep into development of Redstone 5, which will launch this fall. Today, Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17655 has rolled out.
This is the ninth preview release of Redstone 5 to drop on the Skip Ahead branch since February. Because Redstone 4 is delayed, Redstone 5 is still hanging around on Skip Ahead and has not reached the Fast Ring yet.
With Windows 10 Insider Preview build 17655, Microsoft has added more minor improvements. When Redstone 5 does move to the Fast Ring, we expect to see feature previews become more frequent.
Through this latest release, Microsoft has overhauled mobile broadband (LTE) connectivity on Windows 10. By using the Net Adapter framework, the platform gets a more reliable Mobile Broadband (MBB) USB class driver.
Microsoft details the addition in the official changelog:
“Windows is transforming the networking stack after 20 years through the Net Adapter framework. This framework introduces a new, more reliable, network driver model that inherits the goodness of the Windows driver framework while bringing an accelerated data path.
In this build, we are introducing a new and improved Mobile Broadband (MBB) USB class driver based on this Net Adapter framework. We can't wait for you to try out our new driver in the latest RS5 Insider Preview builds.
If your PC supports Mobile Broadband, i.e., your PC relies on cellular network for connectivity, and you want to help out? Here is what you need to do:
Step 1: Ensure your PC can support SIM cards and USB modems (either over the internal USB bus or using a USB dongle for cellular connectivity).
Step 2: Install this build (Build 17655 and higher) and setup cellular connectivity.
Step 3: Choose the Net Adapter based MBB USB class driver as default driver.
- Navigate to Device Manager. (You can right-click on the Start button to get there.)Go to Network Adapters -> Generic Mobile Broadband Adapter or xxxxx Mobile Broadband Adapter
- Right-click and choose update driver -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer -> Choose Generic Mobile Broadband Cx Net Adapter -> Click Next.
- Once installed reboot for the new driver to take effect.
- Ensure the status of the connection remains “Connected”.
Note: Follow the instructions in Step 5 to revert to the default driver(xxxxx Mobile Broadband Adapter), in case of issues with Net Adapter driver(Generic Mobile Broadband Cx Net Adapter).
You are all set. We are excited for you to try our driver!
Step 5: For Internet access, try using cellular network primarily by turning off Wi-Fi
To report issues and give feedback, use Feedback Hub on your PC and set Category and subcategory as Network and Internet -> Connecting to a cellular network. Use [cxwmbclass] in the summary.”
Microsoft has not included a step four, which we guess is merely a mistake in the number list and not a missing step.
As always, Microsoft has detailed known issues in this latest preview build:
- In this build, the brightness toggle from the Battery flyout in the Notification Area on the taskbar has been removed for an improved user experience.
- We fixed an issue in Microsoft Edge where dragging a favorite from one folder in the favorites bar to another didn't work.
- We're investigating an issue where the mouse cursor may disappear when hovering over certain UI elements and text fields.
- On resuming from sleep, the desktop may be momentarily visible before the Lock screen displays as expected.
- When Movies & TV user denies access to its videos library (through the “Let Movies & TV access your videos library?” popup window or through Windows privacy settings), Movies & TV crashes when the user navigates to the “Personal” tab.
- We're aware of an issue that causes Narrator to read extra text when invoking Alt + Tab, and we're working on a fix.
- Using arrow and Page Up / Page Down keys doesn't work to scroll webpages in Microsoft Edge. You'll need to use another input method (mouse, touch, or touchpad).
- If you complete the setup for a Windows Mixed Reality headset on this build, the headset will remain black until it is unplugged and reconnected to the PC.