Microsoft is finalizing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (FCU) ahead of its launch on October 17. Over the last month, the company has been sending out previews on the Insider, but they have lacked new features. Microsoft is also focusing on its Skip Ahead feature on the Insider with a new update.
Specifically, the company is sending out Windows Preview Build 17004 for PC today. If you are unfamiliar with Skip Ahead, it was launched in July and added a new branch to the Windows Insider Program.
It allows users to jump forward to build ahead of the next Windows 10 release. At this moment, that means Insiders on Skip Ahead can preview Redstone 4. Microsoft is currently developing Redstone 3, which most people know as the Fall Creators Update.
Previously on the Insider Program, members could only preview the next build (Redstone 3). With Skip Ahead, they can move to the next branch for the first time. It also means Microsoft is juggling two different branches in preview.
Of course, the company is used to developing two unreleased branches at the same time. As FCU is close to being released to the public, Redstone 4 is arguably more exciting right now. FCU is not getting new features, so Redstone 4 is where it is at for new Windows 10 goodies.
Incidentally, Microsoft has yet to official announce Redstone 4. We expect the company will fully announce the release and its official name sometime during the fall.
- Fluent Design: As we progress into the next feature update, you'll begin to see more and more elements of Fluent Design light up. We love the enthusiasm we've seen for Fluent Design, and with today's build you'll notice that Reveal is now visible on Start in All apps.
There are also a number of fixes and improvements to the Edge browser:
- We fixed an issue where typing a web address into the address bar from the New Tab and Start Page and would sometimes clear the text and not result in any page navigation
- Fixed an issue resulting in keyboard layout changes potentially not being applied when using Microsoft Edge after setting focus to the address bar.
- We fixed an issue where the tab previews for PDFs were black with a white bar on each side.
- Fixed an issue where the first time you pressed Ctrl + F to open Search, the search box doesn't get focus. We also fixed an issue where you might be unable to type in the address bar after clicking on CTRL+F text field.
- Fixed an issue where “Open with previous pages” wouldn't recover tabs after dragging a tab between two Microsoft Edge windows.
- We fixed an issue resulting copy/paste and the print dialog not working for those using the updated Youtube.com website design.
- We fixed an issue where Ctrl + Click on a link in a PDF wouldn't open the link in a new tab.
- Fixed an issue resulting in PDFs potentially rendering blank after panning down a few pages and back up.
- We fixed an issue from recent flights where Alt + D wouldn't bring input focus to the address bar when certain keyboards were active.
There are some input improvements as well:
- We fixed an issue resulting in the enter key not working properly in Facebook Messenger.
- Fixed an issue resulting in the Delete key on the full touch keyboard layout unexpectedly inserting a period in UWP apps.
- We fixed an issue resulting in a stutter when selecting long strings in certain single line editable text boxes (for example when naming favorites in Microsoft Edge).
Finally, there are a number of general changes, improvements, and fixes:
- RS4 builds include many of the same fixes included in the latest RS3 builds.
- We are introducing a new color wheel to Color & High Contrast Settings to help you get a feel for the effect of each of the different available color filters.
- You may see a Microsoft Edge shortcut on your desktop after upgrading to this build. You can delete the shortcut, upgrade from this build and it will not return.
- We fixed an issue resulting in Mod Organizer no longer load mods into Skyrim in recent flights.
- Fixed an issue resulting in the last flighted build sometimes green screening with a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in win32kfull.sys.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the WIN+X menu sometimes unexpectedly missing the accelerator key underline hints.