‘Sprinkles' is an iOS exclusive app that intelligently applies captions and stickers depending on the context of a photo. It builds on Pix's face detecting technology to discern age, emotion, and more.
The app uses machine learning to provide a variety of features, building in smaller Microsoft projects from the past few years. Microsoft's chat bots, for example, have been developing age-detecting technology for a while.
That said, Sprinkles ties in a few features you might not expect:
- “Choose from witty captions based on what's in the photo
- Explore different time- and location-based captions and stickers
- Search for free stickers on the web
- Add stickers, emoji*, and your own captions in different styles
- Auto detect your age, celeb look-a-like, and more
- Place hats, mustaches, and other accessories on your selfies by face detection
- Unlock more captions and stickers when you add your birth date
- Enable even more content in Settings”
Microsoft is clearly trying to cash into the social photo-taking market pioneered by Snapchat and Instagram. It's doing so with help from EmojiOne, who will provide the stickers and emoticons in the app.
Despite this, the app isn't trying to be a fully fledged social media experience. Rather than sharing in the app, users can export the photos to Facebook, Twitter, message or email.
It's hard to say how popular the app will become, but usage will feed into Microsoft's understanding of AI and help the service to grow organically.
You can download Sprinkles today from the App Store.