Microsoft is continuing its improvements to Xbox One with a new Preview Alpha ring build. While many of the recent changes have been fixes for various issues, build 15058 brings some new functionality.
Xbox One Build 15058 Changelog
While the improvement isn’t huge, it is very useful. Rs2_release_xbox_1703.170313-1900 brings the following enhancements:
- “New Update Screen: When your console downloads a system update, a new update screen will pop up the next time the console is powered on. This update screen has some basic details about the update, as well as a link to a video (for more information) or the option to go to Home.
- “Xbox App: Fixed an issue which would cause game streaming to stop when launching a new game.”
Despite the focus on features over fixes, there are still plenty of issues with this build. Most of these have been present for a while, and will likely be addressed slowly as the status progresses:
- “Controller: Upon resuming from connected standby, you may be prompted to update your controller firmware when no update is available.
- Cortana: Cortana may take a long time to respond when activated while playing certain games.
- Notifications: Some users may not receive certain types of notifications.
- Game Clips: After capturing a game clip, the game clip fails to automatically post to the Activity Feed (if your profile is configured to do so). Workaround: Manually view game clips in Profile > Captures > Manage captures and post to the Activity Feed.
- EA Access: The EA Access app may indicate you are not an EA Access subscriber when you are. This does not affect your ability to download or play games from the Vault, or receive discounts on EA titles.
- Settings – Ease of Access: When enabling the Mono output setting in Ease of Access – Audio, Settings becomes unresponsive, crashes, and fails to launch on subsequent attempts. Workaround: To launch Settings, perform a hard reset (hold down the button on the front of the console for five seconds until it fully powers down, then power it back on).
- Settings – Display & sound: The Audio output page is under construction and some of the new settings are not yet functional. New support is planned for Dolby Atmos for home theater, Dolby Atmos for headphones, and more in upcoming builds. An announcement will be made when these new features are ready to try out; enabling these settings now will have no effect.”
- Wireless Display: The Wireless Display app fails to launch and immediately crashes to Home.”
Alpha ring Insiders can find the update under Settings>System>Updates. The release doesn’t quite line up with the latest Windows 10 Preview, which has a build number of 15060. Microsoft has a bit of catching up to do before the official Creators Update release, slated for next week.