Cisco and Microsoft have announced that Microsoft Azure Stack will be offered on Cisco's Unified Computing System (UCS) in Q3 2017. Cisco promotes UCS as a solution that helps users simplify open cloud development, tackle graphics-intensive apps, and unlock the hidden value in their data.
Azure Stack enables public cloud services to run inside a company´s own data-center, providing the ability to maintain total control via a hybrid cloud infrastructure. With Azure Stack it will be possible to decide where to keep data and applications hosted: On Microsoft Azure in the public cloud or on-premises resources using a private cloud.
A flexible hybrid cloud solution
Cisco explains in the announcement that, “by combining Microsoft's robust Azure cloud platform with Cisco's UCS server platform, customers gain a powerful, cloud-ready solution.”
Microsoft's Azure Stack team writes that “[bringing together Azure Stack and Cisco's UCS platform] enables you to focus on delivering high quality service levels for business applications rather than focusing on infrastructure management.”
- “Provides accelerated growth and innovation for enterprise customers and service providers looking to grow their businesses quickly with an efficient and flexible cloud consumption model. Service providers can deliver Cisco-Azure infrastructure as-a-service (Iaas) and platform-as-a-service (Paas).
- Builds on the industry leading Fabric-based UCS architecture featuring High-Performance Networking with the versatile Cisco Virtual Interface Card that is optimized for Azure Stack.
- Simplifies management and control by providing a single pane of glass for managing Compute, Azure Stack Optimized Adapter and Networking through policy based templates thus reducing the Total Cost of Ownership for joint customers.
- Increases confidence and trust with an IT environment supported by Cisco and Microsoft – proven innovators and market leaders in hybrid cloud infrastructures.
- Enables management of cloud actions with Cisco ONE Enterprise Cloud Suite Cloud Management package to automate deployment and management of applications across 20 hybrid cloud environments including Microsoft Azure Stack.
- Connects everything through Cisco enterprise networks which preserves policy to ensure performance and security.”