We're happy to announce that this functionality is now available in the Release Preview and Slow rings. This pushes the version up to 18.104.22.168.
Skype Preview 22.214.171.124 Changelog
This release is naturally very similar to the fast ring version, likely with a few bug fixes thrown in. Here's the full list of changes:
- “Phased roll-out of voice translation on mobile and landlines with Skype Translator.”
- “Introduce friends and family on Skype by sharing their Skype contact details
- Capture and share video messages with friends and family on Skype—even if they're not online
- Manage your conversations and save time by marking conversations as read or unread
- Don't miss another call by forwarding them to a mobile or landline*”
After this update, you'll be able to translate mobile and landline calls in real-time. However, there are some natural caveats.
Firstly, you're going to need either Skype Credit or a subscription so you can make the calls. Secondly, the functionality is limited to nine languages.
Here's what Microsoft currently supports:
- Chinese (Mandarin)
- Portuguese (Brazilian)
As you can see, most of the main ones are here. The Skype Team has plans to add more in the future, and translator will get more accurate over time thanks to machine learning.
The quick release to the Release Preview ring means that Microsoft is pretty confident with this build. No doubt we'll see a general release very soon, hopefully before Christmas.