Windows Insider are getting a new Sticky Notes update, Microsoft announced in the Feedback Hub. As usual, this is a Fast Ring release, which is the only place you can actually get the app. Sticky Notes is a long time Microsoft service, but since the Windows 10 Anniversary Update it has been transformed. This latest update is a continuation of the app moving towards full release.
Sticky Notes is a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) these days. It is available across Windows 10, although at the moment it is reserved for the Windows Insider Program.
With the new update, the app now has a number of added features. Among them is the ability to automatically hyperlink a written date. This link when clicked opens Cortana to set a reminder. If a note task has been completed, users can now highlight the text and strike it out with Ctrl+T.
Other changes included in this release:
- Prefer to keep your notes compact and small in size? You can now change their color without having to make them larger.
- Fun fact: It’s estimated that over 40% of the world is bilingual. If that includes you, we fixed a bug that would show you the incorrect smart insights when switching your keyboard language.
- Your Sticky Notes app was getting a little confused if you were using alt to create special letters or characters that you needed. That bug is now officially squashed!
- We heard that some of you were seeing the app crash when highlighting text and then typing. Sorry, it’s all fixed now.
This is quite an important general update. While there are no major new features, it is a release that adds more functionality to Sticky Notes. Microsoft is beefing the app up and it feels much more robust and ready for a full release to all Windows 10 users.
Sticky Notes UWP
With the Universal Windows Platform version of the app, users get the experience from the old version. This includes the main function of writing notes and having the ability to put them anywhere on the screen. Below is a list of some of the core features of the UWP app:
- Create Sticky Notes – A simple and smart design that makes capturing your all your notes – small and big – easy, quick and fun.
- One click access – Access your Sticky Notes with just a click of your Surface Pen to bring up the Windows 10 Ink Workspace.
- Type or write, the choice is yours – Use your Surface Pen with Sticky Notes to capture your ideas in your very own handwriting or if you prefer to type, tap away.
- Create Cortana Reminders – Never forget a note again with Cortana. Simply jot down a time or date with your note and it will be highlighted. You can then tap on it to create a Cortana reminder.
- Added intelligence – Get to where you need to go with one click. Sticky Notes detects addresses, emails and cell numbers so all you have to do is tap the highlighted text to open Maps, Mail or Skype.
- Track your flights & stocks – Keep an eye on an upcoming flight or stock option by typing a flight No. or stock ticker with ‘$’ at the front. Bing then delivers the information you need to your note.