GamesBeat and iSpot.tv partner to measure TV advertising in real-time on a monthly basis. According to October data, Microsoft´s Xbox ad-spending made up for 39% in the Mobile Games & Video Games category. The chart below shows the top five spending gaming brands in the industry for the last month.
In October, gaming brands spent an estimated $101.6 million on TV advertisements regarding mobile and video games. A total of 44 brands collectively ran 129 ads for 22,538 times on national TV, generating 4.1 billion TV ad impressions.
Console brands once more dominated the leaderboard, as expected. Xbox and Playstation, two of the most popular consoles, jointly hold half of the advertising intake, according to the report.
2K Games and Bethesda Softworks, two veteran gaming companies, took third and fourth place, respectively.
Interestingly, Machine Zone, a free-to-play mobile gaming company, found its way onto the list. The maker of Game of War: Fire Age, heavily advertised its latest game, Mobile Strike, landing on the fifth place.
Here is a detailed overview of the report:
- Estimated $39.9 million spent on 16 commercials that ran 4,118 times
- 1.2 billion TV ad impressions
- Top networks: NBC, Fox, ESPN
- Top shows: NFL football, college football, South Park
- Top ad: Gears of War 4: Launch
- Estimated $12.1 million spent on 11 commercials that ran 1,612 times
- 428.6 million TV ad impressions
- Top networks: ESPN, Comedy Central, NBC
- Top shows: NFL football, NBA basketball, South Park
- Top ad: Star Wars: Battlefront Rogue One — X-Wing VR Mission
- Estimated $9.5 million spent on 11 commercials that ran 606 times
- 298.8 million TV ad impressions
- Top networks: Fox, CBS, USA Network
- Top shows: NFL football, 2016 World Series, NBA Basketball
- Top ad: Mafia III: Revenge — Official Launch Trailer
- Estimated $6.8 million spent on four commercials that ran 1,459 times
- 289.9 million TV ad impressions
- Top networks: NFL Network, Fox, NBC
- Top shows: NFL football, NBA basketball, 2016 World Series
- Top ad: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition — Time for Battle
- Estimated $5.6 million spent on six commercials that ran 3,505 times
- 262.9 million TV ad impressions
- Top networks: Fox, NFL Network, ESPN2
- Top shows: NFL football, college football, The Walking Dead
- Top ad: Mobile Strike: Convoy featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger
Continuing the winning strategy
With the holiday season coming up, Microsoft is looking to continue on course with the winning strategy. As we previously reported, Xbox One beat PlayStation 4 three months in a row in the United States.
The aggressive campaign will surely continue once the holiday season officially begins as PlayStation 4 Pro is scheduled for a release this week. Microsoft’s main asset will be the recently released Xbox One S, a much-improved version of Xbox One.