Office 365 has benefitted from many updates this month, not least being the continued evolution of inking. Kirk Koenigsbauer, Corporate Vice President for the Office Team, took to the blog yesterday to explain what exactly has changed.
In short, Microsoft has rolled out Inking changes to OneNote and integrated information protection across the board. Outlook now has a better “People” experience, and Visio is now available on more platforms.
However, the devil is in the details, so we’ve provided a summary of everything below:
- “Ink math assistant in OneNote: when you handwrite an equation, OneNote can not only convert it to text, but also now teach you the steps to solve it.
- New ink effects in OneNote: Get even more creative with ink effects in OneNote. Inspired by feedback from students, the new rainbow, galaxy, gold and silver ink options help your inking pop off the page and make learning in OneNote even more engaging.
- Replay inking in Office apps: To understand what’s behind the ink you see on a page, use new ink rewind and replay capabilities.”
Windows Information Protection
“Windows Information Protection (WIP) is now supported in Office mobile apps for Windows tablets and phones. Previously announced with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, WIP is an enterprise-ready solution that helps prevent accidental data leaks while letting users maintain control over their personal data.”
Outlook on the web
- Contact Cards and People Pane: Information about a person now displays when hovering, reducing the need for a click or a new page. New contact pane offers intelligent information such as team, title, and office number.
- Improved Search: Search results are more relevant. Searching a single letter comes up with most used contacts. Fuzzy name capabilities now include different spellings.
- New Contact Lists: There’s now a featured people section in contacts. Outlook sorts people based on four separate parameters. Contact list UI now shows more important information.
- “The new Visio Online Preview lets you view and share Visio diagrams with just a browser.
- With the new Visio for iPad, access your Visio diagrams from virtually anywhere using your iPad.”
Accessibility and in-app Support
- “Recent updates to apps like Word, Outlook and SharePoint Online bring us closer to achieving our goal of ensuring that people with disabilities can communicate, consume and create content on any device. Accessibility Checker now available to any customer using Office 2016 for Mac.
- In-app assistance: In Office apps on Windows desktops, now it’s easier to find help documentation when you type a search into Tell me. Office 365 Home and Personal subscribers in the U.S. can chat in real-time with a Microsoft support agent without leaving the Office app.”
- Office Online extension for Microsoft Edge browser: Office Online extension is available for Microsoft Edge. Right from the top of Edge, you can easily create new Office documents, access your recent files, and open content stored on your OneDrive, OneDrive for Business or your computer.”
Microsoft also revealed some changes to the Office Insider program. A fast ring will be coming to Windows 10 desktop, and mobile, as well as Mac.
This will happen in the next few days, but Android and iOS will take a little longer.
You can read the full post on this month’s changes here.