Microsoft has announced that Azure Active Directory B2C is now generally available in North America. In an official post the company says the service has already been widely adopted. Also, Microsoft adds that it will bring general availability to B2C in Europe and the Asia-Pacific region in the coming months.
Azure Active Directory B2C has already been a success in preview form, Microsoft says. The company points to football club Real Madrid and the State of Indiana as two notable early customers. With the service now available widely in North America, customers can continue to get it for free until early 2017.
The service runs on dedicated servers in North American data centers. The servers have been created exclusively for Azure AD B2C, giving production-scale tenants for apps. Microsoft says customers can create tenants from the following North American nations:
United States, Canada, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico and Trinidad and Tobago.
Azure Active Directory B2C is an identity management service that works for consumer-facing applications. Customers can scale hundreds of millions of identities across web and mobile platform apps. For example, Microsoft points to Real Madrid, the soccer giant has used AD B2C to create apps across web and mobile platforms.
By giving users a tool to sign in to accounts across devices, developers can focus on core functionality. AS B2C handles the app's identity management beyond during and beyond the sign-in process.
In its North America GA announcement, Microsoft details the following available features:
- “Secure identities: Your consumers can bring their existing social accounts (Facebook, Google, LinkedIn, Amazon, Microsoft account) or create new app-specific accounts (usernames and passwords local to your app). You can also add multi-factor authentication to your app and give consumers an extra layer of security.
- Seamless experience: You have pixel-perfect control of your application's consumer experience; our service stays completely hidden from view. Real Madrid used this capability to ship compelling mobile (iOS, Android, Windows Phone) and web apps for its fans.
- Highly customizable journeys: We provide out-of-the-box consumer journeys such as sign-up, sign-in, sign-up or sign-in, profile editing and password reset so that developers don't have to hand code them. These consumer journeys can be tailored (branding, token, session and SSO configuration, information collected from consumers and claims passed back to the app) to match the needs of each app.
- Developer experience: Azure AD B2C supports industry-standard protocols – OpenID Connect and OAuth 2.0. You can secure your mobile, web and native apps using Microsoft's authentication libraries or open-source ones.
- Cloud-first: Our cloud identity service is secure, reliable and highly-available (SLA of 99.9%). It is built on the same technology infrastructure that powers a billion-plus Azure AD sign-ins per day.
- Superior economics: Our consumption-based pricing model, which comes into effect after the free period, beats the total cost of ownership of on-premises systems.”