Microsoft has rolled out a rich update for Office for Mac. The release brings Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps up to build 15.24,now available to Insiders on the Slow Ring. This build contains the 64-bit Office 2016 support for Macs which we talked about earlier in the week. Office users on Apple's desktop OS will also get numerous other features.
Microsoft has made it possible for Mac users to find recent and shared files more easily. Those with Officer 365 subscriptions can see recently shared work documents, presentations, and workbooks. OneNote has scored new trackpad editing tools (write and draw) for the Draw tab from a mouse or trackpad.
Word users can now use a Selection Pane, allowing them to keep track of document objects and rearrange them.
Just yesterday, we wrote about Microsoft's decision to finally release 64-bit Office 2016 compatibility to Apple's MacOS. The company made the announcement on Thursday:
“We have released the first drop of a fully 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac to the Insider Fast channel! The update number is 15.25 (160630). I do encourage Insider Fast users to install this update and give it a test. We want to know about any problems you encounter as soon as possible, so that we can make sure we address them before the official release.”
The latest update for Office on Mac is now available for those on the Office Insider Program. Check out the full changelog from Microsoft below.
- “Find shared and recent files: In Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, see documents, workbooks, and presentations that others have recently shared with you. (This feature requires an Office 365 subscription.)
- More Control Over Objects: In Word, we've added the Selection Pane so you can keep track of all the objects in your document and rearrange their placement and order.
- Interactive controls: In Word, date pickers, drop down lists, and many other content controls in your documents are now interactive.
- Ink annotations: In OneNote, use your mouse or trackpad to write, draw, and highlight with the tools on the new Draw tab.
- Tidier notes: Use new grid and lined page backgrounds in OneNote to keep your handwriting and drawings neat and tidy.
- Pen tablet support: In OneNote, use your drawing tablet or display that uses a pen or a stylus to write, draw, and erase in your notes.
- 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac: Last but not least, we're pleased bring the 64-bit version of Office 2016 for Mac to our Office Insider Slow audience. To get the 64-bit version, you don't need to do anything other than install update 15.24 (160707). To find out more, see Our initial 64-bit release of Office 2016 for Mac is now live! If you use the EndNote Cite While You Write (CWYW) add-in in Word 2016 for Mac, join the EndNote beta testing program to get access to an early version of their 64-bit add-in.”