Microsoft has been chosen as the technical partner to build and run the mobile app for Union Human Resource Development Ministry's SWAYAM (Study Webs of Active-Learning for Young Aspiring Minds) platform.
The Redmond giant will deploy a team of dedicated people to set up the state-of-the-art application and launch 2000 Massive Open Online Courses for over three crore students in 2016. After three years, it will be taken over by AICTE.
Jagran Josh has posted some more details about the SWAYAM platform:
- “University Grants Commission (UGC) Regulation, 2016 was finalized in a credit framework for online learning courses through SWAYAM.
- According to the regulation, the partner institutions which are identified by the National MOOCs coordinator will make the online courses available on the SWAYAM platform.
- Twice in a year, registrars of all the institutions will be given the list of online courses being offered in each semester.
- Physical facilities like laboratories, computer facilities, library etc, shall be made available for free by the parent institution.
- A certificate of successful completion of the MOOCs will be issued by the parent institution and through the host institution.
- The credits earned through courses on SWAYAM in the credit plan of the program will be given equivalent value by the parent institution.”
MOOCs have provided access to top university-level content for every learner. By providing free courses on demand, MOOCS enable learners to learn from anywhere irrespective of their condition or financial background.