The improved Xbox apps allow users to access their console from mobile devices or with another Xbox One.
Gamers can use the Xbox app home as an activity feed to access shared game screenshots from connected friends. Microsoft has added game hubs for titles and a new media control function to the Xbox interface.
Access to friends, messages and notifications have been streamlined into the main interface like in Windows 10. Other features such as streaming or support for access to party chats might be added in the future.
The update brings the following main improvements:
- Added Trending content – Users can see popular content in the app
- Facebook friend finder – Users can add Facebook friends who are also on Xbox
- Contact list friend finder – Users can use their contacts to find friends who are also on Xbox
- Real name sharing – Users can share their real name with friends.
- Game Hubs – Game Hubs are added to Xbox app
- Updated profiles – User profiles are redesigned in the app.
Users with the app installed on their mobile devices can see their friends' activities on Xbox Live, share updates and game clips, interact with game content, and buy games from the store.
Xbox One users can use the app to navigate using the device's keyboard and touch functions and also use the app as a media controller to play and pause music.
“With your gaming life all in one place, the Xbox app keeps you connected to the games and gamers that matter most,” the app description states. “The Xbox app is the best way to stay connected to your gaming community.”