Dropbox has finally made its way to Windows 10 devices with a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app. Although a “universal” version of the Dropbox app had existed for Windows 10 since last May, the app now has been released once again will all the true features of a full-fledged cloud-storage application.
According to the official announcement from Microsoft, the Dropbox app for Windows 10 will encompass the following features.
- Updated for Windows 10:Performance improvements and faster launching for our Universal Windows Platform app.
- Enable Windows Hello:Add an extra layer of protection with Windows Hello, which uses either your face, fingerprint, or iris instead of your password to unlock your Dropbox*.
- Quick Access to Recent Files:Using Jump List, all you have to do is right-click on the Dropbox app icon in your taskbar.
- Interactive Device Notifications:Accept a shared folder invitation without opening the app with Notifications.
- Quick Search:You don't need to click on the search icon; just type what you want to search.
- Drag and Drop:To move or copy a file into Dropbox, just drag and drop it from Windows File Explorer. Within the app, you can also move or copy files into other folders by dragging and dropping them between folders (hold Ctrl to copy).
- Commenting:Add comments directly on your files, and bring others into the discussion with @mentions.
Can Dropbox be the OneDrive replacement?
Dropbox became the go-to cloud storage service when all the other major players of today didn´t even exist After the inception of iCloud, OneDrive and Google Drive, the playing field is not favorable for Dropbox anymore. The latest update of the Dropbox app for Windows 10 is a sign that the cloud-storage company wants to be the OneDrive replacement.
The Windows announcement also reported that Dropbox will release the official app for Windows 10 Mobile platform “soon”. While the OneDrive will always be a better fit for Windows devices, the cheaper plans and increased reach might just give Dropbox a fighting chance.