Microsoft´s Windows 10 Media Creation Tool is a program to create Windows 10 installation media. It automates the download process, burns Windows 10 to a DVD or creates a bootable USB stick to install Windows 10.
In this tutorial you’ll see how to get the official Windows 10 installation files via a direct link or by using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. The main benefit of using the Media Creation Tool versus an automatic upgrade or other ISO files is that you don´t have to worry about product keys as it creates your personalized installation media. You should keep in mind that with a free upgrade of Windows 10, you never get a product key.
Method One: Downloading Windows 10 ISO with a direct link
Method Two: Downloading Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool
A) Downloading Windows 10 ISO with a direct download link
1. Open Microsoft´s Windows 10 download page from the Windows 10 Tech Bench Upgrade Program.
2. Choose your Windows 10 Edition and Product Language and press the Confirm button.
You will find the options on the bottom of the page. If you don´t know what to choose see this explanation of the differences between Windows 10, Windows 10 N and Windows 10 KN.
3. To select 32 or 64 bit version of your Windows 10, choose one of those buttons and then the web browser will ask you to save the ISO file.
B) Downloading Windows 10 ISO using Media Creation Tool
2. Select Windows 10 32 bit or Windows 10 64 bit according to your needs.
This will download not Windows 10 but the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Open the downloaded file.
3. In the Media Creation Tool select Create installation media for another PC and press Next.
4. In the next step you can choose Windows 10´s Language, Edition and Architecture: 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) or even both.
If you have no space issues, we recommend to select the combined option 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) which enables you to have both Windows 10 versions in the same ISO file. Then press Next.
5. Select the 2nd option, ISO file and press the Next button.
6. Choose the path where you want to download the Windows 10 ISO file and type a name for the ISO file. Then press save button.
7. The Media Creation Tool will create your personal Windows 10 ISO file.
8. Creating a Windows 10 Installation DVD
After downloading is done and the Windows ISO file is ready the Media Creation tool offers you to create an installation DVD. If you just want to keep the file, just navigate to the download folder.